3, not so good coyotes

Snowshoes

After yesterdays high winds and 55 mph gusts, this mornings 15 mph wind seemed pretty calm in comparison. The temperature dropped somewhat and there was some snow but not as bad as had been predicted on both counts.
I had three stands in mind that would be prefect for today’s northwest wind. I hadn’t called any of these spots yet this year so hopes were high.
First location is a deep ravine just off the hi-way which has produced coyotes numerous times in the past. After parking the truck behind a row of round bales, I’m off to a corner post which has a heavy growth of tall weeds surrounding it. Get settled in the middle of the weed patch, then start the e-caller off with some cottontail distress. After three or four minutes I repeat the cottontail distress which produces a big coyote to the northeast who is coming across the field from the valley. One eye on the coyote but I keep glancing towards the ravine to my left, just in case there is another interested party showing up.
A couple vehicles pass by on the hi-way but the coyote pays them no attention and keeps covering ground. All was going to plan but when it comes to coyote hunting plans, they so often get re-written. That is just what happened here, a snow plow that just happened to be going by, dropped his blade to clear the snow off the hi-way by the guard rails. What a racket, which stops the coyote dead in it’s tracks. The coyote turns around and start to trots away so I play some more cottontail blues which stops it. I let the coyote stand there for a half minutes before repeating. The coyote isn’t moving so I let fly with some yelps. The coyote sits down and starts challenge howling me. I return coyote verbal abusive insults which gets it more worked up. This goes back and fourth for two or three minutes and coyote is not budging. I decide to try a shot, ranged the coyote @ 334 yards and adjusted the elevation turret according. Give some allowance for the crosswind and then touch off a shot. Never hit the coyote. I believe the crosswind likely wasn’t as strong as I thought. In hind sight, I should have accounted for the trees which would have sheltered the wind for a good part of the bullets travel. Oh well, would have, could have, should have. Now to head for the next spot which would be a mile and half away.
Park the truck in a deep dip along a fence line and from there walk a quarter mile east. Once again I set up along a fence and this go around start off with jackrabbit distress which I let play for 30-40 seconds.

A minute later I see something at the edge of the trees that wasn’t there a few seconds ago. The binoculars reveals a coyote and a press of a button tells me 259 yards. The coyote keeps looking back and I figure there is more coming. Sure enough a second coyote shows up and together the two head my way. I lose sight of the lead coyote as it goes through a draw but I’m ready for when it will show again. A couple seconds later the coyote is visible, I bark it to a stop, followed with the crosshairs settled on its chest. A 107 yard shot has the coyote down. I get a quick glimpse of the other one as it raced to the trees but never got my sights on it.
Upon closer inspection, I see this coyote had shoulder mites and it was left where it laid.

From there I head 4-1/2 miles west to an area I have never called before. I was given lots of information from the landowner as to where he sees the coyotes at. I had a plan in place as I park the truck in a low spot and from there start my journey west to a fair sized bush patch. Having 3 cattle operations close by, this looked to be a great spot for coyotes to congregate at. Walking on a well traveled coyote trail with new tracks in fresh snow was very encouraging to say the least. As I near the bush, I get to a point where I need to set up soon and my choices are limited. I settle for a spot with some brush at my back and have a good view to the north and northwest. The view to the south is good but I have a ridge which obscures my view to the west somewhat.
I start off with a couple howls and within a half minute I have an ugly-ugly coyote come from ( I should have known) the west. I contemplated holding off shooting but decided this guy needed to be put out of its misery. A very bad case of mange. Shot this one at 25 yards.

After the shot I see a nice looking coyote bust across the field to the northwest, I send a bullet harmlessly on it’s way as I watch the coyote continue its escape.
Not really liking where I’m set up at, I contemplated bugging out and coming back at a later date but seeing 2 more coyotes coming towards me from the west rekindles my interest. I watch the coyotes cut north into the bush and I take that opportunity to head west to a better spot. Get set up on a north/south fence line and then pull out the bite call. A few squawks on the call is soon rewarded with a coyote at the edge of the trees. I put the cross hairs onto the coyote but it turns just as the trigger is pulled. The coyote trots a few feet and stops but there is too much brush in the way. I see a second coyote a few yards away from the other one but it too is not in a good spot. The two slowly walk away so I let fly with some yelps which miraculously brings them back. Once again I have a coyote at the edge of the trees and this time the bullet finds its mark. (103 yards). The second one decides it better vacate the area and didn’t come back to yelps.
This last coyote didn’t look too bad when I first seen it but that changed after getting a closer look. Early stages of mange and another one left where it lay.

HOMAnimated-S.gif

Congrats on another successful hunt. Even if they are not the keeper you are after, they do need to be gone. The last picture looks to be a young looking one.The first picture is a shame that one was no good, big looking one. Middle just ugly. We are having some snow flakes now, maybe I will go out after the Christmas party tonight.

Originally Posted By: lockrotorCongrats on another successful hunt. Even if they are not the keeper you are after, they do need to be gone. The last picture looks to be a young looking one.The first picture is a shame that one was no good, big looking one. Middle just ugly. We are having some snow flakes now, maybe I will go out after the Christmas party tonight.
With any luck by taking those bad ones out, maybe it will save some healthy ones. The last two coyotes were both pups.
Originally Posted By: .204DanThat mange is crazy what a way to go
I was surprised that young mange infested coyote came into howls, probably wanted to have its "light put out". I couln't blame it, if it did!

In the parts of North Dakota I am hunting right now, we are seeing neck/shoulder mites on about 30-40% of our coyotes. Was in an area the other day and shot 5 and all 5 were no good. It is unfortunate. My fur buyer says it is really bad in ND this year.

Originally Posted By: fratriNice going, ugly coyote for sure, did him a favour...
Better a bullet than freezing to death.
Originally Posted By: cm9Nice pic congrats!
Thanks cm9
Originally Posted By: KirschIn the parts of North Dakota I am hunting right now, we are seeing neck/shoulder mites on about 30-40% of our coyotes. Was in an area the other day and shot 5 and all 5 were no good. It is unfortunate. My fur buyer says it is really bad in ND this year.
Its seems to be getting more widespread every year. Not good!

Back